Thursday, February 09, 2006

雪が太っています. . . ;)

japan is really quite a funny place. . .

today is a snow day . . . despite the fact that, in town, the snow never stuck to the road and has now melted off every other surface. . . guess the students who live in the mountains are like the students in highland, kansas stuck out on the gravel roads. . .anyway, as always, i still have to show up at work for my eight hours and pretend to be busy. . . you can only study japanese for so long. . . i'm trying to plan a trip for spring break. . . maybe one for golden week as well. . .aside from that, i just stare at my co-workers blankly (and now at this random guy that is sorting papers faster than any machine could do. . . really, it's quite intriguing). . .

three of my friends sent me text messages last night, telling me that today was going to be cold and that i should wear lots of clothes so i don't get sick again. . . for once, i listened to them. . . i have on a tank top, a fleece turtleneck, a nice warm jacket, topped by another fleece jacket, and finally my trusty clv rain jacket (because the snow often turns into rain by the afternoon). . . oh, and of course my stylish leg warmers! . . .unfortunately, school was cancelled. . . i.e. i actually get to spend the entire day in a heated office. . . all but the tank top and fleece turtleneck were promptly removed when i arrived at work. . .

last week, another alt was being proactive and wore so many layers to school that she cut off the circulation in her toes and got frostbite. . . most people get frostbite on their way to school or playing in the snow after school, but in japan, alts evidently get frostbite teaching in school. . . crazy place. . .

whoa!!! that guy that i mentioned is almost finished sorting his papers. . . in the five or so minutes it took me to type one blog, he sorted over one thousand pieces of paper. . . talk about efficiency. . .

3 comments:

T-Mu said...

Hey Erinn!
Where are you thinking of going? I'ld recommend going to niiko - real nice place or maybe nara...or where you there already? Anyways, its always nice to read your blog and I hope you're still enjoying your stay in Japan. I hope you visit MN sometime when you get back!
- Thomas

Anonymous said...

Erinn... Elizabeth (Clement) here.

So you've been to Kyoto. If you're thinking about Nara... I remember the Daibutsu (sp?, the Big Budda) there, and a park full of free-roaming, visitor-friendly, white-tailed deer on a hot summer day. It was good.

I LOVE reading your blog (you'd probably call me nuts for the frequency I check it). You're making me think about Japan and packing up to go work/live somewhere else in the world again. I'm looking for and thinking about anything I come across... thoughts on JET? Anyone reading this with similar experiences... your thoughts on them? Domo.

I'm at clementea@hotmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin! Thsi is Aiko here. How are you doing eh? Im here in Japan right now (haha, still) and things are kinda crazy at this point cuz I gottaa decide this week whether to pursue teaching or stay in Sony.. Anyhow, I hope I can see u when things calm down a bit. hmmm yea. Both have their pluses.. I finally started to get to know some of the Brazilians who work at Sony and they are sooo cool! Yay for Braziilians! Alrighty, Im going to run but remember that I am thinking of you..