Sunday, June 11, 2006

update 2: GENKI 青年会

if you read my previous entries, you heard about genki seinenkai, a group of jets who put on a musical combining japanese history with western culture (history, disney stories, etc. . . changes year by year) in the local dialect of japanese. . . this year was a combination of the story of lord yamauchi of tosa (which is now kochi-ken) with the story of anthony and cleopatra and finally the addition of the seven dwarfs (a.k.a. seven samurai) . . . title: yamauchi antony and chiyopatora. . .clever, eh?. . . anyway, we had two full weekends of performances in april. . . approx. three performances a day. . . chiyo (the lead female) lost her voice right around the end of our final show. . . it was pretty taxing for us all, but we had a blast. . . we raised something like 500,000 yen in donations. . . all that goes towards scholarships to help students in kochi study abroad. . . pretty neat, huh?

anyway, i think you may enjoy pictures of the show more than my babbling. . . let’s enjoying. . .

we were the three choreographers/dancing girls. . . the first and only time i will wear a cheerleading uniform

samurai soul with doc (先生) and dopey

grumpy choking on mochi at sunday market

lord nagabana (long nose) and yamauchi with his newly purchased camel. . . the formation of the 内密特別駱駝騎兵隊 (super secret camel calvary division)

one of our dances was called 'my humps'. . . absolutely wretched song. . . but it worked well with the egyptian camel theme. . . did i mention the other two choreographers are hip hop dancers?

and the finale. . . with cheese smiles and jazz hands

3 comments:

Fuzz said...

Hey Erinn, good to see some activity from the blog and pix from the scholarship fundraising show. You all look very genki. Who took the photos? They look professionally done. Tsuzu (rainy season, right?) has certainly started it seems. Stay dry and take it easy. I agree with what you said about the systems that control you. I can't seem to get a hand of the key-return system at school; I'm always pocketing them! Genki de! Jeff

T-Mu said...

I wish I could get that picture of you in the cheerleader costume, print it out and send it to all who know you ;)

Mike said...

Hi Erinn! I just caught up on your blog. You've done a lot of interesting things...

Sometime I'll have to hear the story about the super secret camel calvary division. :)